Monday 20 March 2017

Book - Demons in my Mind: A Dark Story unveiling Criminal Psychology

#BookReviews
Indian Bloggers

Title: Demons in My Mind (When Mind Becomes Your Biggest Enemy) 
Author: Aashish Gupta

Publisher: Notion Press
Pages: 330
Price: Rs. 349
My Rating: 3.5/5

Blurb:
Dakshesh, an old man in Sirubari village suffering from cancer, wishes to be released from the excruciating pain. He requests the villagers to take him to the three monks. They are all intrigued by the legend of the mystical three monks. No one has seen them but only heard stories of miraculous healing they offered. 

Knowing that the sick man's death is imminent, the villagers leave him alone near the Pashupatinath temple hoping that the three monks, if they exist, would embrace him on the holy land. The old man wakes up to the sight of the three monks, but only to know that they are no saints but notorious criminals. 


What they tell Dakshesh in his last few breaths, shakes his entire perception of humanity and its sins

Review:
Demons in My Mind: When Mind Becomes Your Biggest Enemy, the title does full justice to the book and cover is rather gripping but blurb isn't. It does not expresses how dark (and in my case depressing)  the book actually is.

Author has touched a very dark and borderline dangerous topic. The book deals with criminal psychology that will leave you flabbergasted. It really makes you wonder what must go on in the mind of a human being when he commits certain heinous crimes. Unfortunately I started reading it at 2 am and believe me I am regretting it as I found it very disturbing. (Which is a positive point for author's storytelling skills...)

The whole plot looks very simple but it is not. It starts with one simple story but splits into multiple, i.e. individual stories of each monk - A good son who turned into a murderer, a painter who turned into a rapist and a lover who turned into a torturer. The plot is well written and it grips you instantly. 

The characters are well narrated and while reading you can actually visualize the characters and feel their pain.

I found stories very sad and exceptionally depressing hence I had to stop reading in mid-which has literally happened for the first time.

The story I completely read was of the 'murderer'. What got to me was how, in his mind and hallucinations, he believed he was being merciful when he murders his loving parents... It made the statement 'no one knows what goes on in a person's mind' very much alive.

As for the rest, couldn't get to end of second one... let alone get on third. But the extent I read it, I found the book rather good. If you can stand reading about how fear, pain, depression grips people in committing heinous crimes than you should read it definitely, but if you are like me, then I strongly recommend against it. This book is going to haunt me for a while.

The only thing that I found missing in the book is the description of 'why' i.e., why they turned psychotic? Why a good son turned a murderer. Yes he had demons in his mind but there is always a lingering 'why'.


My rating to the book 3.5/5. Hope you enjoy it.

The book can be bought here...



Love and Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find the post? Boring? Interesting?
Please just dont think it, share as well...